Thursday, July 21, 2011

LPP First Draft...


In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 34

Thursday, July 21, 2011
From The Miami Herald:

Move to tighten Cuba travel could pass in Congress
An effort by Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart to overturn Obama administration rules easing restrictions on travel to Cuba may win congressional approval despite a threatened presidential veto, according to supporters and even some critics.

The Florida Republican's proposal was initially given little chance of becoming law, especially after President Barack Obama last week vowed to veto it if it reached the White House for his signature.

But as the bill's possible paths through Capitol Hill became clearer, even some of its critics now say they believe the measure stands a reasonable chance of making it past Congress and even the White House.

"Although we appreciate the president's veto threat, there is no question that this misguided legislation, due to the way it's been placed in an appropriations bill, has a good chance," said former Democratic congressional candidate Joe Garcia.

"I am certainly NOT surprised that this looks like it's going to pass," added Mauricio Claver-Carone, director of the U.S. Cuba Democracy political action committee, which supports strong U.S. sanctions on Cuba [...]

Diaz-Balart's wording on Cuba was approved by a voice vote — indicating there was no strong opposition — in the House Appropriations Committee as an amendment to a bill funding the Treasury Department and other agencies for the coming fiscal year.

The bill is all but certain to be approved unchanged by the Republican-controlled House. The Democratic-controlled Senate usually does not draft its own version of the Treasury budget bill, leaving it to a House-Senate conference committee, with members appointed by congressional leaders, to craft a compromise.

House and Senate Democrats in the conference committee will try to strip the Diaz-Balart language out of the bill, said the Capitol Hill staffer, "but in a conference committee the leadership gives the orders, and on this one I don't know if the Democratic leadership is willing to die for travel to Cuba." [...]

"When the same people are going to Cuba two and three times and even more times a year, that starts to take the edge off the humanitarian intent" of easing the travel restrictions, the lobbyist said.

House Committee Votes to Defund OAS

From Foreign Policy:

House panel votes to defund the OAS
The House Foreign Affairs Committee began its Wednesday markup of the State Department authorization bill by voting to end funding for the Organization of American States (OAS), with Republicans lambasting the organization as an enemy of freedom and democracy.

The one-hour debate over the GOP proposal to cut the entire $48.5 million annual U.S contribution to the OAS is only the beginning of what looks to be a long and contentious debate over the fiscal 2012 State Department and foreign operations authorization bill written by chairwoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL). Democrats accused the Republicans of isolationism and retreat for their proposal, while the Republicans accused the OAS of being an ally of anti-U.S. regimes in Cuba and Venezuela. The OAS Charter was signed in 1948 at a conference led by U.S. Secretary of State George Marshall.

"Let's not continue to fund an organization that's bent on destroying democracy in Latin America," said Rep. Connie Mack (R-FL), the head of the Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere and the sponsor of the amendment. "You will support an organization that is destroying the dreams of the people of Latin America."

Other GOP members piled on, accusing the OAS of supporting Fidel Castro, Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, and ousted Honduran President Manuel Zelaya.

"The OAS is an enemy of the U.S. and an enemy to the interests of freedom and security," said Rep. David Rivera (R-FL). He compared U.S. support of the OAS to a scene from the movie Animal House, where a fraternity pledge is being paddled on his rear end and humiliatingly asks for more punishment.

"How much longer will we say to the OAS 'Please sir, may I have another," Rivera said

The defunding amendment passed 22-20 along party lines.

Capitol Hill Cubans

A swim from Cuba to Florida

A veteran of the U.S. attempt to impose a record swimming challenging sharks and sea currents.
Photo: Reuters
 
Diana Nyad said he was ready to try again the journey.
Diana Nyad, an American of 61 years, will attempt the next  days to fulfill an old dream, breaking a record itself and crossing swim once the dangerous Straits of Florida.
Nyad already tried on August 15, 1978, when it prevented waves up to eight feet tall and powerful currents that deviated from its course between Havana and Key West and after nearly 42 hours made it drop its efforts, exhausted, punishable by tentacles and surrounded by barracudas.
The plan was then to impose a new brand to trace 165 mile swim in just 60 hours, try to do it again before the summer sea conditions worsen and after failed plans in August last year.
To its credit, the veteran swimmer will now have a technology that was not available 33 years ago and the journey will accompany 22 Marine experts, meteorologists, physicians, psychologists and divers shark hunter, because this time Nyad not launch the sea in a cage as in 1978.
The intrepid swimmer told The New York Times is "Much stronger than before in physical terms, although at that time  was much faster. But I feel strong, energetic and other vision of resilience. I'm ready, "he said.
In 1997, Australian Susie Maroney swam across the way from Havana, Florida in just 24 hours, but did so within a metal cage all the time towed by a boat, which according to the experts made their journey easier, faster and safer.
To do under much more adverse than that, break Nyad  record implanted by her in 1979 when he swam a mile least from Bimini in the Bahamas to the coast of Florida.
On Wednesday, Nyad wrote in his Twitter account ready split trying the route between Havana and Key West, which he said  swimmer will be covered live on CNN TV channel.
http://www.voanews.com

Cubans captured six in Colombian waters

 The Associated Press
Six Cuban migrants who entered the country without authorization were captured by Coast Guard legal Colombian Caribbean waters  and will be deported to their country.
The six Cubans, four men and two women, all elderly, were intercepted when craft traveling in a boat whose pilot and copilot were Colombian, said Thursday the Commander Carlos Serrano Coast Guard commander of the Colombian Caribbean.
The boat was intercepted by Coast Guard units to see that transportation was a  very small, about two meters long, for its eight occupants, the officer said in a telephone interview. Only by addressing the ship was the officers realized that they were immigrants and all showed their identity papers of Cuba, he said.
The group was intercepted on Sunday July 17 when moving between the port of Turbo and the Acandí in the department Choco and about 580 miles northwest of Bogota, but only up Thursday authorities confirmed the identification and immigration  authenticity of the documents of the six Cuban said.
Serrano said he does not know exactly when the group of Cubans arrived in the country and when it might be deported to his country.
 http://www.elnuevoherald.com

Alan Gross family is hopeful his release...

Alan Gross family is hopeful his release

http://noticias.univision.com

Sports ...

11.07.21 |

Golf, a sport that causes problems for the Communist countries

 While for Chavez is a hobby "bourgeois" Cuba seeks foreign investment to develop it. In China is prohibited since 2004But in recent times have multipliedwhere practice


Photo Credit: Reuters

The State Council of the Republic China (central government) has required that inspections will increase against the proliferation of golf courses. Despite the building ban in force since 2004 fieldsIn these eight years have been built 400 of these facilities.

The government of Prime Minister Wen Jiabao could even expropriate the land to change its use, as have announced. The Ministry of Land and Resources, who would compete this matter has become, in turn, to prohibit the construction of golf  golf.

An estimated 2.53 million hectares of farmland had been illegally converted into industrial parks and golf courses, for, thus benefit them out. Since 2004, the government has insisted in its prohibitions as ten times, but the provincial governments ignore such a ban and so now China has a total of 600 fields, when before 2004 had 170.

What's more, 70 these fields are on the outskirts of Beijing,  a disgrace to the central government seems inadmissible. The press official believes that this desire to build golf courses is a "Embarrassment to the government." Despite its size, agricultural land is scarce in China,  which has led to speculation and a rise in inflation from, in particular, the rising price of food.

This increase has been more than 10% last year. China, the world's second largest economy behind the United States, considered a state policy for social expropriationBut this remains one of the most controversial issues and creates instability in society.

In Latin America, the Golf also has been the subject of discussion by governments "XXI century socialists." Months ago, the Venezuelan leader  Hugo Chavez referred to an unfortunate way to the case: "There are sports and  sports. They say that this is a sport of the people? Well it is not. Only a small group of bourgeois can go and play the game. " After the controversial comments, complaints poured athletes.

However, in this matter is not unanimous: while Chavez is an occupation of wealthy Cuban dictator Raul Castro is not seen as dim and is currently looking for capital to develop enterprises in the country golfing.

http://america.infobae.com

Eight days in the morgue...

No one has claimed the body of the Cuban found in the undercarriage of a plane that was traveling Havana-Madrid

ALEJANDRO Torrus MADRID 21/07/2011 08:00

El cadáver fue hallado en el tren de aterrizaje.-CONTACTO

The body was found on the train aterrizaje.-CONTACT

It's been eight days since the body of Adonis Cuban  G. B. was found dead in the undercarriage of an aircraft from Havana at the airport Barajas (Madrid) No one has claimed her body.
The  Ministry of Interior and Foreign Affairs say Spanish His thing is not to start any process and believe it is for the  diplomatic representatives of Cuba in Spain. On the island any means officer reported the incident and the exile community in Miami, knowledgeable of the facts, has no more data. Meanwhile,  Adonis's body remains at the Forensic Anatomical Institute, where  Last Thursday, he performed the autopsy revealed that froze to death after a nine-hour flight.
Institutions throw balls out.  Interior Ministry sources said this newspaper that his Adonis work ended once the autopsy and derive responsibility for the case to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of Cuba in Spain. For his part, Foreign considers this item is out of its case and that until there is order Cuban Embassy they can not act. So they refer, again,  the Interior and the Cuban Embassy. And in the latter there is, at present,  response.

The promise

Everything, he explained Yuniel Jacomino, president of the Cuba Democracy Platform Now! Is a promise of the Embassy of Cuba to the social worker of the Institute  Forensic Anatomical handling the case. According Jacomino, pledged the Embassy with  the worker to process through the Adonis family of all necessary documentation to make it possible to remove the body Forensic Anatomical Institute. "What not required on that promise is the fate of the body: if repatriated to Cuba to proceed to his funeral on the island or will be buried in Spain, "said Jacomino.
For him, the tragedy of Adonis is not the first nor the last, but is the result of "52 years of the Castro regime".  "There are many Cubans who have tried out. Some have had lucky and others you have not been forced to risk their lives in  try, "he said.
http://www.publico.es